Thursday, September 28, 2006

Coffee Shop Theology

I KNOW I am not qualified to join the fully formed CST brigade (read more about that here) but I dipped my toes into the world of grown ups when I spent an hour or so being tutored on eschatology by a learned and respected colleague and friend in a local coffee shop today.

I am grudgingly coming round to the point of view that theology can be good for you. I DO need to know how to be more accurate and succinct in my arguments. I would quite happily subscribe to the "So THERE - na-na-na-na-naaah" school of argument but I guess I have come to a time in my life where that's not quite enough. I do want to have a greater body of knowledge to call upon. (<~~~~you don't know how much it pains me to admit that !!!)

I am still not sure that I can master the literary and structural skills necessary to pass my exam on Monday. The only thing in my favour is that I can spell well! I feel more comfortable with some of the terminology now. It annoys me that I have to drop author's names and fancy-pants terms into what I write but I guess I will just have to try!

Oh - I am well into the theology of mission, that which I have learned so far is really bolstering my beliefs in what I do.

Stuart asked me if I had enjoyed what I had done and the answer is "mostly" apart from the "squished feeling" - pressure in reading my way through loads of books to jump First Year. And the pure theology bit; it's hard.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:26 PM

    Hope the exam goes well - at least if it is a course in eschatology you will know that in the end all will be well - all manner of things will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you.
    Will post how it goes.

    I've got a busy weekend; doing training on Saturday for 40-50 children's team members and then leading an All Age service on Sunday.

    Hoping to squeeze some study :-)

    ReplyDelete

In the words of Mrs Doyle in Father Ted, go on, go on, go on........

Leave me a wee message! Only rules - is it true, is it kind, is it necessary?